Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I'm Gonna be Writing my Blog

I quit working a few weeks ago and am now spending most of my time at home, taking care of my mom. Since she is a certified couch potato and is constantly glued to the TV set, I get to watch whatever it is that she is watching.

When I was working nights, I never paid attention to what was being said or shown on TV. For me it was a comfortable noise to keep me awake and drag my butt out of the house and go to work. But I guess when you're not doing anything, you tend to notice almost everything that gets said and done on TV.

I love watching cooking shows. But recently I've noticed that the hosts or chefs of these cooking shows have a phrase or word that they love so much. In fact, they cannot start cooking without uttering this word. It seems to be a staple in their cooking. Nope it's not a gastronomical term that you have to google. The word is....GONNA.

I've no problem with chefs speaking in our native tongue. But when they start saying the word gonna, my mind tries to dissect what they are trying to say. I can't claim that my English grammar is perfect. But you will never hear me say (or write) the word gonna or use it in a sentence. In fact this chef starts her show by saying," We're gonna start cooking."

I don't know if these writing shows have writers who could at least make sure that the grammar of their hosts is correct. But having these chefs use the word gonna does not make me stop watching their cooking shows.

This is all for today. Cause I'm gonna start on another article. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment