Monday, July 6, 2009

Cancer Fighting Foods

Since I started my mother on raw carrot juice, I was able to browse online for this alternative medicine. It seems that in other countries such as the United States and Australia, they have groups or communities that promote the raw food diet.

Let me give you an update first on my mother's condition. It has been three weeks since we started on raw carrot juice and since I cannot remove raw food from her diet abruptly, we just increased her intake of raw veggies and fruits. She is very much well and no longer has her "down" episodes. Also, the hair on her nape is growing black! My mother is 68 years old and it seems funny that at her age, the hair that is growing is black instead of white, as we have grown accustomed to.

I don't know if there is a community here in the Philippines that supports or caters the raw food diet. Shame that if ever we don't have any because our country is so blessed with fruits and vegetables that can be grown all year round. And we don't have to rely so much on pesticides because our climate or weather promotes beautiful plant growth. I should know because I have a small garden in my house.

One of the problems that I see why Filipinos are not into these kind of diets is economics and culture. Economy wise, a poor Filipino will spend his P10 on instant noodles, rather than a bunch of kangkong or other veggies. Filipinos also love the taste of salt. That's why they would choose the MSG laden flavoring of instant noodles over the iron and protein rich kangkong which grows in abundance here.

Culture also plays an important part. Filipinos always have an inferiority complex, owing from our three hundred years of Spanish colonization. If it's not imported, its not good. Ask any child what they would like to eat, the answers would be the same: Jollibee (hamburgers), or any fast food in that matter. Never have I experienced where I would come across a family with a toddler in tow that would not beg their parents to eat in these fast food chains.

I have nothing againts these fast food chains. They give our economy it's much needed boost. I also worked for eight years in one of the known food chain brands. It's just that by culture, our food is carbo laden. Once, I tried looking and comparing different fastfood menus to check if any of them had anything that had less carbo or sugar. I ended up in the supermarket where I grabbed a bottle of water and some fruit.

If there is a group out there that supports the raw food diet, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment