Friday, December 23, 2011

Spending Christmas without my Mom

This will be the first Christmas with my Mom gone. I know that it's holidays like these that can be quite hard for those who have lost their loved ones. I don't really take too much stock on Christmas because technically we don't spend or celebrate Christmas. My family puts more effort on celebrating the New Year.

I think the reason why we don't celebrate Christmas is because of our childhood tragedies. Growing up we were very poor and surviving on a day to day basis was hard enough. Children usually dream of receiving gifts come Christmas day. But I have no memory of ever being excited that it is already Christmas. To me, it was like any ordinary day that would come and go.

It must have been hard for my mother. I know because now that I am an adult, I go out of my way even if it is a last minute thing to get gifts for family and friends. One vivid memory that I have of Christmas is that while everyone outside was noisy and celebrating, we were all in our beds trying to sleep.

I will not be spending Christmas alone though. Tomorrow, Christmas day,  I will be at my aunt's house. Every year for the past six years we have been spending Christmas day at her house. Most of my family are living overseas so it will be a small party. For those spending their Christmases' alone, don't be too sad. It will come again next year and always look forward to that time that it will become a happy occasion. Merry Christmas to all.






No comments:

Post a Comment